Study in Canada After Completing College Education

Continuing studies in Canada after completing F.Sc and A-Level. Here I am only addressing the audience that comes from the middle-class background. We normally have several common concerns regarding:

1. How to get an admission
2. How much does the admission cost
3. How much is the tuition fees per year
4. What is the visa process? Will I get the visa?
5. How much does the visa process cost
6. What if I have a gap in my studies
7. What if I am too old
8. Can I afford everything on my own

Before starting off, first and foremost we should know that we have to appear for the IELTS test scoring more than 6 at least in each module. This is the requirement for the SDS VISA process regardless of what the university/college asks for. SDS Visa process:

Initially, you have to search for the universities and your favorite programs over the internet. Look for the admission requirements. If you meet the eligibility criteria that’s pretty much it. You can apply for admission.

But the question here is that do you want to enter a university or a college? Unlike the United States, colleges are very different from a university. A university is supposed to offer degrees while a college offers diplomas and certificates, also sometimes, but not always, a degree as well.

Normally, the college tuition fee is way cheaper than a university. Cheaper to an extent that you can afford the tuition by working part-time.

Canada allows 20 hours a week of part-time work to the students holding study permits, but you can work unlimited hours if you are working on campus. However, you can’t trick the system by enrolling in fewer courses rather you have to stay as a full-time student taking 12 credit hours at least every semester. If you don’t know what credit hours mean, please google that. Also, you can work full-time 40 hours in summer vacations. The normal wage in Canada for an odd job is around 13-21 CAD per hour.

Once you are sure that you can afford the tuition and meet the eligibility criteria you’ll have to pay a nominal fee of around 100-150 CAD (one time) to start your application process. People normally apply at 10 universities spending 1,000 CAD for admission. It totally depends on how much one can afford. Plus, if you can afford tuition it’s better to go for a degree, otherwise, a diploma or certificate is always there as an option.

If you have got the admission, it’s time for a visa. You will have to pay one-year tuition fees in advance + buy a GIC bond worth 10,000 CAD.
Please note that if you get visa refusal, your tuition and bond will be refunded. However, in other case, your 10,000 CAD GIC bond will still be refunded, within the first year, in episodes once you have landed in Canada.

The visa process costs around 500 CAD which includes the passport application, visa fees, biometrics, medical exam, and passport stamps. This is it for undergraduate admissions.

How can you continue your studies after 14 years of education and if you can transfer credit hours to Canada?

If you are looking forward to continuing your studies in Canada. You can do so even if you are 50+ or have a long gap year in between your studies. So there are these international student services offices at almost every university/college in Canada. You can email them anytime as their primary role is to help you provide options to join their college. They will evaluate your credentials and help you to make the best choices.

They can sometimes let you enroll in the third year of a Bachelors program as well, which is in my opinion, a win-win situation. As you get rewarded with a four years bachelor’s degree within two years in Canada. Also, you can bring your family together if you applied for their visa along with you. Your spouse is eligible for an open work permit while children get free education up to 18 years of age. You will also start receiving a child benefit i.e. 550 CAD for each child once you have stayed over 18 months in Canada along with your family.

What is the visa process and how much does the overall procedure, tuition and living costs?

The visa process and overall procedure has already been discussed in episode 2. Over here, I will finally discuss the living costs. Living cost is a relative factor for every individual/family. However, a bachelor can rent a room for around 350$ a month. Utilities and groceries accumulate up to 250$ and this makes a total of around 600$ a month. Please note that this is an average assumption and varies as per your location/city and choices/lifestyle/expenditures.

The best way to estimate the living cost is to contact your university’s international student service department and ask them about it. Please note that the university office always over approximates the expenses so you can safely divide their suggested expenditure into half. If you have a family with one child, your rent and utilities can cost around 1,000$ a month (again, depending on your location and expenditure choices). The groceries are around 400$ a month, making the total expenditure around 1,400$ a month.

You receive a work permit at the end of your degree which was already discussed in Episode one of this series. Best of luck and have a nice day!
Work in Canada after you graduate:

After work experience, you have several choices to either come back to your home country or stay in Canada as a permanent resident