University of Vienna PhD Position in Austria is accepting applications all across the world for Post Doctoral degree Scholarship in Vienna. Vienna Fellowships give outstanding doctoral candidates in the social sciences the opportunity to devote full-time effort to their research and to write their doctoral thesis in the vibrant research environment of ViDSS. This is a Fully Funded scholarship for international students.
Study in Austria Free of cost. We welcome applications in the fields of communication science, demography, development studies, nursing studies, political science, science and technology studies, social and cultural anthropology, and sociology. This Fully Funded Fellowship Programme aims at recruiting the best candidates. All candidates are in direct competition with each other, regardless of their fields of research in this Full Free Scholarships.
Don’t be late and apply for Study Abroad scholarships. Applicants must provide a letter of reference from their doctoral supervisor, a CV indicating their above-average qualifications in the discipline in which they intend to write their doctoral thesis and a research proposal, which is forwarded to international experts for review. There is NO registration fee to apply for this Scholarship in Austria.
University of Vienna PhD Position in Austria Details
- The funding period of the Phd Scholarship is three years.
- An extension of the funding period is not possible.
- PhD Fellows are employed with the University of Vienna for 30h/week according to the applicable collective bargaining agreement.
- They are members of the academic staff and enjoy all rights and duties that come with such a position.
- Post Doctoral scholarship Fellows can apply for additional funding for research and travel expenses after the successful public presentation of their intended doctoral project at the Faculty of Social Sciences, which takes place in the first year.
- fellows are enrolled in the doctoral program in Social Sciences at the University of Vienna and become members of the Vienna Doctoral School of Social Sciences.
- As ViDSS students, fellows actively participate in the activities organized by the doctoral school and complete the milestones of the doctoral program throughout their doctoral studies.
- Applicants need at least one supervisor employed with the Faculty of Social Sciences who is working in the subject area of the planned thesis and who is a member of the Vienna Doctoral School of Social Sciences.
- It is a requirement that the relevant supervisor has already accepted the applicant as a doctoral candidate when they submit their application.
- Applicants do not necessarily have to be enrolled in the doctoral program at the University of Vienna when they submit their application.
- However, they have to be granted admission in the winter semester of 2020/2021.
- If the applicant is already a doctoral candidate in the Social Sciences at the University of Vienna, they must have been admitted no earlier than in the summer semester of 2018.
- Applicants who have already been working on their doctoral thesis in a funded position for more than two years (at the University of Vienna or elsewhere) are not eligible for a sowi:docs fellowship.
- sowi:docs fellows must comply with the rules and regulations for passing the public presentation at the Faculty and for concluding the doctoral thesis agreement with their supervisor/s as specified in ViDSS.
- Letter of motivation: Describe your previous academic achievements, your mid-term career goals, and your motivation for your chosen subject area
- CV in tabular form (no more than 3 pages including a list of publications, if available)
- Degree certificates of previously completed university degree programmes
- Positive letter of reference from your (future) doctoral supervisor (must be signed)
- Abstract of the research proposal (no more than 200 words)
- Research proposal (no more than 10 pages including a list of references, the font size of 11pt, 1.5 line spacing): A research proposal for the sowi: docs Fellowship Programme must include:
- Current state of research and positioning of the research project
- Academic goals and methodological approach
- Work plan and required financial and material expenses
- Preliminary bibliography
- To facilitate a double-blind review, please remove any identifying information, such as your name, from your research proposal before submission.
NOTE: All documents have to be written in English.
Only complete applications that fulfill the formal criteria will be considered for assessment. It is not possible to make amendments once an application has been submitted.
Applications have to be submitted via e-mail (in one single PDF file) to
Selection Procedure of PhD Position in Austria
- A jury, consisting of experts who are members of ViDSS, will review all applications that fulfill the formal criteria.
- The jury decides which applications are forwarded to international reviewers. After the first selection procedure, all applicants are informed about the jury’s decision.
- Applications selected by the jury are reviewed by at least one, preferably two international reviewer/s from outside the University of Vienna.
- Reviewers are asked to assess the proposals according to the following criteria: innovation, academic relevance, methodological appropriateness and feasibility.
- In well-founded cases, applicants can specify up to two researchers who should not act as reviewers for their application.
- Based on the external review/s, the internal jury compiles a final shortlist of candidates. If the number of shortlisted candidates exceeds the number of fellowships available (usually four), the final decision to award the sowi:docs fellowships is based on random selection.
- After the final decision, the reviews are anonymized and forwarded to the applicants.
- It is possible to apply for the sowi:docs Fellowship Programme again. Applicants do not have recourse to legal action.